27 June 2011

Spotting



So I finished my first (Olympic distance) triathlon of the season at Big Foot Beach State Park in Lake Geneva, WI. I love this race mostly for the AWESOME swag that you get for registering. Last year, we got a bike jersey and this year it was a cool track jacket. Seriously, I do most of the races that I do because of the shirts and medals, not for the accolades of finish times, etc. I've decided that Ironman is not about the journey, it IS about the destination, ie: the big ol' medal! Unlike the saying "Life is about the journey, not the destination." This time the ends truly justify the means!

Anyway, I digress... at this particular triathlon the swim is designed to parallel the beach, then turn around back to the start (continuing to parallel the beach.) My friend Justin told me last year when we did this event, that he had someone swim directly head-on to him. This year, the SAME THING happened to me...clearly, these swimmers have no concept of looking up to spot where they are swimming. I have a tendency to swim wide towards the outside lane, as not to get swam over, kicked, or hold up the rest of the wave of swimmers. Therefore, this particular swimmer who swam directly into me was SO FAR OFF course, it was comical! I wonder what ever happened to her? When things like this happen to me I have to admit it gives me a little confidence boost to know that at least I'm not that person. It also creates a little fear in me to think that these same people will be on the Ironman swim course to wreak havoc!

On a side note, I have been desperately trying to load the video of me getting into my wetsuit, but it keeps failing...I will continue to try so you don't have to go on much longer without having that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment